Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Focus Pocus (or the Upside of Obligation)

So, it turns out that developing more focussed approach to everyday life is super-hard. I'm not really into failing repeatedly, so I normally gravitate towards things that I'm already good at (probably reason numero uno for planting myself in University for nearly a decade). But I'm determined to be a lot more focussed (a little bit at a time).


Recently, I was asked to lead my bible study group once or twice a month, and I think it's going to be super-helpful in the focussing department. Truth be told, I find it a heck of a lot easier to maintain focus if I'm obligated to. For example, it's easier to sit down and make a pair of slippers from start to finish if I've promised a client that they'll be in the mail by a certain time. Same deal with bible study for me. Ideally, I'd like to be able to focus on bible study just for the sake of knowing more about God, and that's something I'm working on. But it's helpful to be obligated to someone else, once in awhile. You know what I mean?

Let's get one thing straight though, it's not like I'm going to start going around collecting obligations. I'm already prone towards anxiety, and I'm not keen on turning my life into an ongoing panic attack. So, I'm going to be choosy about obligations and commitments. And maybe they'll be a positive thing in my day-to-day life. Maybe? I'll be sure to let you know if this experiment fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment