Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Machine Sewing Buttons

I learned this really great trick for machine sewing buttons from a blog post or pinterest pin or some other social media outlet, but I can't remember exactly where. Usually, I don't champion sharing things without their source, but I'm totally going for it this time. Some of you might already know it from home ec. class or whatever (maybe from the source I can't seem to remember?), but if you don't know it, you need to. It will add years to your life.

Here is a very special video that I made all by myself to show you exactly how it's done:



Basically the trick is to use a close zig-zag setting on your machine. The length between zig and zag has to be the same as the length between your button holes or else you will bust your needle (and even your shaft, if you're really going full speed ahead). Lift your presser foot and line the holes up where the zig and zag are going to drop, and then lower your presser foot. I usually hand crank the first few stitches to make sure everything is lined up, and then use the pedal slowly. Slooowly. And make sure you're on a close stitch setting. I use interfacing underneath the fabric to keep it taut. And then I smile and congratulate myself on saving so many minutes of my life from hand-stitching






No comments:

Post a Comment