Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Banana Bread!

I've been meaning to bake a bit more often, and today there were some bananas sitting on the counter that needed to be taken care of, so I finally rolled up my sleeves to get 'er done. Hopefully it will start a baking trend?

I modified a recipe from the Osler Mission Chapel's 25th Anniversary Cookbook (one of my faves--jam packed with great Mennonite and non-Mennonite recipes). 



The original recipe was submitted by Bonnie and Brad Roufosse, but I made some adjustments to use up the bananas I had and to work the with ingredients I had on hand. So this is how we do it:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

Mix the following ingredients (tip: if you don't like chunks of banana in your bread, throw all the wet ingredients in a blender to mix):
1/2 cup sugar
3 large or 4 small bananas (mashed)
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup pineapple or apple juice
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together the following, add to the dry ingredients, and stir just till the ingredients are combined:
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Grease the pan and pour in the batter (is batter the right word for a loaf?) bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until the old toothpick test tells you that it's done. Let it cool a bit and then turn it onto a cooling rack. Eat it. Make french toast with the leftovers. Give it to your neighbors. Or whatever. Pat yourself on the back for being oh so domestic, and then flick on your tv in time to tune in to tonight's episode of Modern Family. Yes!






No comments:

Post a Comment