So here's toque #2 (toque #1 here). I was using up leftover yarn . . . hence the stripes. It was pretty easy to knit. No pattern. Well, I made it too big. But it would be easy to knit again with some adjustments.
I cast on 102 stitches with Pattons Classic, and made a fat rib (knit 3 purl 3) until it was about 3 inches and then switched to straight knit, changing colours whenever I either ran out of a colour or I thought it looked good.
I kept going until it was long enough to just about cover my head, and then started decreasing . . . slowly. I didn't want it to be too rounded at the top.
I think I had to knit a few randoms together first to get a number that divided by 12, and then I knitted together every 11th and 12th stitch for one round, knit a regular round, knit every 10th and 11th stitch together for one round, knit a regular round, and so on, until I was down to repeating 'knit two together' for a whole round. Then I just repeated that round until I had just a few stitches left, and I tied it up and added a pom pom!
Next time I would cast on 6-12 less stitches, and I would start decreasing sooner.