Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Reading Heaps

Remember that time I started posting my goals for my 32ndyear? Well, the deadline to apply for the Artisans of the North craft fair has come and gone, and I totally did not get on that. I have not been working on my Hebrew at all. Not even a bit. I have been working on getting back into running shape though. And I’ve been reading heaps.

In May, I read The Caretaker by Ranjit Singh. In June, I read Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin. And so far this month I’ve devoured Voices (also by Ursula K. Le Guin), Daughters Who Walk this Path by Yejide Kilanko, and The Attack by Yasmina Khadra.


They’ve all had their strong-points (some more than others), but so far my top favourite has been Daughters Who Walk the Path because it explores a lot of really heavy issues like ethnic discrimination, gender discrimination, rape culture, and political engagement without oversimplifying. And cause women-to-woman relationships (sisters, moms, aunts, and friends) constitute a major theme in the book—something I’m 100% a fan of all the time.


Now I’m moving onto A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby, before the movie comes to our little local theatre.


No comments:

Post a Comment