Friday, January 13, 2012

Just Me and My Meal



I love this poem, by Tanya Davis. And I love being alone. I mean, I love spending time alone, and I love being alone (single, unattached, solo)! It's a luxury. "Society is afraid of alone though. Like lonely hearts are wasting away in basements," which is why I don't always love being alone in public.

Today I ate a meal by myself in a sit-down restaurant. No book. No computer. No pen and paper. Nada. Didn't pick up my phone to text or anything. It was kind of tough, but not as uncomfortable as I imagined. I went somewhere that I've been several times before--alone with a book or whatever--for lunch. I knew it wasn't going to be too busy or too slow. And I knew the food would be good!

At one point, another woman walked in alone! But then I heard her ask for a table for 3. And she didn't even sit for 3 minutes before she got out her cell phone. I felt a little smug.

Nobody gave me the, 'aw, it's gonna be ok face' that so many people give when you are 30 and single. Nobody really noticed I was there at all, in fact. They were having conversations with the people that they came with. Imagine that!

I would probably do it again, 'cause it's the kind of thing I think I would enjoy if I got used to it. Who knows, maybe I'll even be bold and go out for dinner sometime!

I had a roasted veggie sandwich, by the way. Yum!

2 comments: